Google+

Summer Virtual Book Club for Kids--Kevin Henkes Part 2

AugustSummerVirtualBookClub

Today I am going to share a few more ideas for two of my favorite Kevin Henkes books. First a huge congratulations to Andrea F. for winning the copy of My Garden!! 

First a continuation of activities for My Garden. We happened to find the perfect ball today at Rite Aid in a clearance bin. The first thing that popped into my head was the line from My Garden.When we got the ball home, I cut out a felt top to make it look like a tomato and taped it on the ball. I did not continue the line from the book since we always change it since Hazel loves carrots so we don't want ours to be invisible!

Next I will share a bit from Little White Rabbit. This is my favorite of the Kevin Henkes books I have read! It is the first one I read and I still love it.
This book is about a little white rabbit that is always thinking and wondering. Whenever he passes something he wonders what it would be like to be some characteristic of that thing (well until he sees a cat and then he hurries home). The page after you read what he is wondering what it would be like is just an illustration of what he is wondering. Now my favorite thing to do is to think about why Little White Rabbit would not like to have that characteristic. For example, if he was as tall as the fir trees, he would have trouble talking with the other rabbits and may step on them. It teaches a great lesson about being happy with who you are.

I knitted the little white rabbit awhile ago to act out the book. I used the pattern I found at Heart Strings Fiber Arts. Then the first place the little white rabbit goes is through the high grass and wonders what it would be like to be green, so I pulled out a bunch of green crayons and a marker and helped Hazel fill in the paper with only green. We were imaging being green like the grass, the lily pads, the leaves, the turtle, etc. You would no longer stand out.

Ok, now it is your turn. Feel free to link up your Kevin Henkes inspired activities below and feel free to grab a button so others can find our blog hop! This button takes you to our Facebook page! Oh, and for those of you who like to plan ahead--we are continuing this for the whole year and September's author is Lois Ehlert.
AugustSummerVirtualBookClub

4 comments:

  1. How fun! I;ll have to look for The Little White Rabbit! My 5 year old loves bunnies!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Little White Rabbit sounds like a lovely book.

    Thanks for linking to Science Sparks xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely idea! I've featured this on the sunday showcase: http://www.herecomethegirlsblog.com/2012/09/08/the-sunday-showcase-animals.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and ideas. Thank you for reading and contributing!