Google+

Increase Decrease -- Crafty Weekends Review & Link Party

Reminder this link party is for all types of crafts, craft tutorials and craft product reviews!

Disclosure: I was sent this book to review free of charge from Storey Publishing. All opinions in this post are my own. I did not receive any other compensation for this review. I am including links to each item for your convenience but do not receive anything if you purchase them.

Do you knit? I know the basics but get a bit nervous when it comes to harder things. Although my mother assures me I can do harder patterns. Well one of the things that always confuses me (and scares me) is when you have to increase or decrease your stitches. I only know a few basic ways to do this and it is not always the right way for the pattern. I found the perfect aid for me and it is Increase, Decrease by Judith Durant. 
http://www.storey.com/books/increase-decrease/


Yes it is a book that explains 99 methods of increasing and decreasing your knitting. And not only does it explain them but it give step by step photographs!!
Source

 This book explains how and when to use the various methods. It also explains how some increasing causes holes and some are more invisible. It depends on if you want a pattern like lace or not. 
Increases and decreases can be used to create lace or texture. Source
The book is divided into sections and chapters. The sections are Increase, Decrease, and Combinations and Special Circumstances. The chapters break the sections into various types of methods
Open Bar Double Increase Source
 The book also gives photographs with explanations of how the methods were done to get the look. It shows different ways of doing the methods and when they are used. It also has an overall description of the method and the uses and characteristics of the method.

Source
 To review this book I first showed it to my mother. She thought it looked very good although some methods would probably be rarely used. Next I tried some to see if I could understand the directions. Can you see my open increases (ones with holes)?

The instructions were easy to follow and the photographs made it really easy to follow. I tried various methods and kept trying to increase using various methods. I kept going.

 I have to say I love this book and am adding it to my craft bookshelf. I know I will be using it for many projects. I hope you will check it out. It is the perfect reference book for any knitter!

Thank you to everyone who shared with us at last party!! It was full of creations and inspiring ideas!! Below are some features from the party, but this is just a small sample of great ideas shared! This week we have features themed as for kids, for home and just fun.  


Also remember for your child-oriented crafts, activities, lessons, etc. Sharing Saturday is going on!! For any cultural related posts (diversity and/or multicultural as well) be sure to share at the month long Creative Kids Creative Blog Hop

Features



1) From The Real Thing with the Coake Family: Simple to Sew Small Pillows

2) From
Nap-Time Creations: Large Pick-Up Sticks

3) From The Scrap Shoppe Blog: Multi-Use Tool Belt for Kids

4) From Oh My! Creative: Printable Bookmark Coloring Pages for Kids


1) From Thistlewood Farms: Serendipity and Twelve Fabric Projects (Be sure to go check out the amazing projects made with the fabrics shown)

2) From C.R.A.F.T.:Creating Really Awesome Fun Things: How to Build Picture Ledge Shelves

3) From The Logbook: Lace Frame Tutorial

4) From The Real Thing with the Coake Family: Adorable DIY Dachshund Decorative Pillow 


1From Designs by Miss Mandee: Vintage Ice Cream Cone Holder

2) From Simply {Darr}ling: Glitter State Art
 S
3) From Pink Heels Pink Trucks: A DIY Coin Bank Full of
parkle & Shine

4) From Comic Con Family: DIY Mini License Plate Game for Road Trips


Thank you to everyone who shared the last week!! I hope you will share again!! If you are featured here, please feel free to grab a featured button to display proudly on your blog. I would love the help spreading the word about Crafty Weekends!!





Featured Button Code:



 Please share family friendly crafts here. Just crafts and/or patterns--no recipes, lessons, etc. You can share craft product reviews as well. By linking up here you are giving me permission to share your links and to pin your links. Please follow my Crafty Weekends Feature Pinterest Board to see all the features from these fun link parties!